2011-05-19

Variations on a theme 2

There's someone I used to see... but she don't give a damn for me

Though the river flows gently to the sea
He was on the shore rooted like a tree
She was here and there riding on the waves
Through it all she heard his call and gave it all she gave

And though their love was hangin' on a limb
She taught him how to dance and start again

Come up to meet you
Tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I've set you apart

Tell me your secrets
And ask me your questions
Oh, let's go back to the start

I've really been the best, the best of fools, I did what I could, yeah
'Cause I love you, baby, How I love you, darling, How I love you, baby
I'm in love with you, girl, little girl
But baby, Since I've Been Loving You, yeah. I'm about to lose my worried mind, ah, yeah

Everybody trying to tell me that you didn't mean me no good
I've been trying, Lord, let me tell you, Let me tell you I really did the best I could

Love hurts, love scars
Love wounds, and marks
Any heart, not tough
Or strong, enough
To take a lot of pain
Take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud
Holds a lot of rain
Love hurts, ooh ooh love hurts

I've tried hard to live without you, in so many ways
I just can't help myself from thinking of you, for the rest of my days
Heartache is at my door step, won't leave me alone
I just can't get used to it, now that I'm on my own

Mean mistreater, you make me cry
You lay around, and watch me die
Mean mistreater, can't you see I'm real
Are you satisfied, with the way you feel

You think you're special
You do
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it when you laugh at me
Look down on me
And walk around on me

(But you were)
My so-called girl, but in reality
Had a hidden agenda
You put my tender, heart in a blender
And still I surrendered

Like a chump...
Why did it take so long
Why, did I wait so long, huh
To figure it out, but I did it
And I'm the only one
Underneath the sun who didn't get it
I can't believe that I could be deceived

Whine, whine, whine
How can you afford to throw me those looks when you haven't pulled the bloody wool from over your eyes yet
How can you say those things to me when you haven't pulled the boot of the past out of your mouth
Your conviction is merely iconographic. I'm so sick of hearing you whine... shut up

I'll chain you to the truth
For the truth shall set you free
I'll turn the screws of vengeance
And bury you with honesty

because you're sick of yourself
well I'm sick of you too - fake
you're a counterfeit - fake
you know we figured you out
well I'm sick of you too - fake
you're a counterfeit...fake

There's nothing for you to fight against
You're so unreal it's evident
You'll never be one of a kind
This ain't yours, fuck you don't try

This time I'm a let it all come out
This time I'm a stand up and shout
I'm a do things my way
It's my way
My way or the highway

And one day when I am old and on the porch
With knittings around my knees you hear me say
Excuse me please,but aren't you the one
And wasn't it fun way back when

Or maybe in a year you'll reappear
And if that should come true
I'd throw my arms around you and watch you smile
Just for awhile once again

When you're weary; feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all
I'm on your side oh when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

We may not always be the best of lovers
But if you leave it to me I think I can see
We'll always be the best of friends

I can't get over how she set me free
Oh lonesome me

And it weighs me down.

And you don't know how it feels, you don't know how it feels to be me...

Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be this hard

And it weighs me down.

*****

And yet, I'm ok...

*****

With thanks to Lamb of God, Nazareth, Neil Young, Limp Bizkit... and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment