2013-04-15

No jet plane here...

As I am readying for Tuesday I can't help but think back upon my time here in Pubnico.
Hitch-hiking halfway across Canada to see my first born.
Recalling the day I arrived...
Those first three weeks made it clear to me though, that I needed to stay.
And now I need to go.
In the morning, 21 months later to the day, I leave for Halifax.
Quite different than the last time I'd left.

Fresh off Cornwallis in the spring of 85.
And now... 28yrs later, considering heading out 'West.'
Again.
I leave here thinking of those who's lives have impacted mine.
Those I was able to say my goodbyes to... and those I could not.
I thank each and every one of you for being you.
I also can't help but think of the NICKNAME.
Though I understand the reason for them... each and every one of you have 'earned' yours... in one way or another.
The first night Brad took me to Richard Owls.
And from that night on... I began to 'earn' my nickname.
Johnny started it off with Dirty Hippy (tks buddy.)
From that... it became just Hippy.
Though it's not 'just' Hippy anymore... is it.
You've come to realize it isn't about The Hair.
I know now that in your eyes, I have earned my nickname.
I thank you for such an honour.
/me flashes a peace sign
:l
As I type this I have to say my time here has been life altering.
And really, that was the point to begin with.
...
The other day a friend said to me "you can take the man out of Pubnico but you can't take Pubnico out of the man."
I understand that now.
At some point I will 'drop by' again.
Perhaps I'll even have a Dirty Hippy... now being served at a Yarmouth Tea house.
If you think of me... remember, not all who wander are lost.
And though I leave here with an uncertainty on where and when I am 'going'... I know is that it is the journey itself that is the story.
And that it is I, who is the writer...

No comments:

Post a Comment