2011-06-30

Random days and random people...

With a final ride on the TTC, I arrive at the Bay/Dundas bus terminal and pick up my ticket. Run into an old-time SGT and engage in conversation. I ponder (and ask) as he's wearing a maroon coloured beret, which are not given out anymore (recall the Airborne Somalia 'affair'). Turns out he'd earned it in 1979!!! Props given.

With a stop-over at Scarborough Town Centre to pickup other passengers, we eventually arrive in Trenton around 9'ish. Without a place to stay (as Dave/Jenn turn out to be unavailable until Tuesday), I enter the store (yes, the Trenton 'terminal' is a variety store... the SAME store I arrived at in 1985 on my way to Boot Camp) and ask a random guy if there is a YMCA/Mens Hostel in town. He turns to me and says as long as I don't take from him I could stay with him and his wife!

I know eh!
OMG!

Tell me this could ever happen in Toronto!

I have come to believe that part of why I am out here is to rediscover a lost hope in mankind. Sure there is kindness and generosity of spirit (and there ARE some whom I have been lucky to know) but, over-all I have become somewhat jaded in how I see people.

I have been burned one too many times in those I called friend.

So, Dennis and I walk home wherein he asks me to 'play along' and introduce me as his long-lost cousin. Er... what choice did I have?

I reluctantly agree and meet his wife Diana.
I also meet their litter of 8 purebred 6 week old Labrador's!!!
They are feckin adorable!
And smelly!!!

We've a fire and a few beers and all of a sudden its 3am!
Am offered a couch in their basement and sleep for 9 hours!
Must be the air.

Day 3 up next...

No comments:

Post a Comment